Sunday, June 20, 2010

Creamy Pesto-ish Sauce and Spread

Okay, first of all, what a week. :( My hives that appeared after strawberry picking turned out to be an insane allergic reaction to some still unidentified something. Ick. Last week was a blur of pain, benadryl-induced exhaustion, and doctor's appointments. I barely ate, let alone cooked.

This weekend has brought a bit of relief, though, so I got my butt in gear with our huge supply of greens from this week's CSA share. This recipe used one whole bag of spinach, a bunch of basil (kept fresh from last week's share in some water), a couple handfuls of broccoli rabe leaves, and a few handfuls of parsley and scallions. Pretty good and green for one dish, I thought.

My initial intention for this sauce was on pasta, like a pesto. It was pretty good that way, but today we found an even better use, and ate nearly all of what was left slathered on homemade bread. So good. I'll do my best to add a photo tomorrow when I have some more time, in the mean time here's the recipe.

Pesto-ish Sauce and Spread:

1 lb. bag of fresh spinach, washed, stemmed
3 big handfuls of torn greens (I used brocolli rabe, any greens would work)
1/2-3/4 c. chopped scallions
several handfuls of basil leaves
one handful parsley leaves
2 cloves minced garlic
1 c. lowfat cottage cheese
splash of lemon juice
salt to taste

Steam spinach. While it's steaming, puree garlic and cottage cheese in food processor. Add well drained spinach, greens, scallions, parsley, basil, and puree. Stir in salt and lemon juice.

Once mine was done, it had a little too much fresh-garlic-bite for Lainey. She likes hers with a little extra cottage cheese mixed in. This is a great recipe to help kids eat more green!

No comments:

Post a Comment