Sunday, January 29, 2012

Simple Homemade Veggie Dip

Here's a great way I've found to help my children eat more veggies: While preparing lunch or dinner, I put out a small veggie "platter" for snacking, with my dip of choice. (I don't offer any other snacks during this time, or the veggies may take 2nd seat) My kids are usually hungry enough that they eat at least a serving of veggies before we've even started dinner.

We usually put out our veggies with some homemade hummus (so easy, and much more economical than store-bought!). Last week, for our afternoon snack, I created my own version of homemade Ranch dip. I couldn't believe how much the girls ate--the dish in the photo below was FULL of carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli when we started.
This was so easy to mix up (done in minutes!), and the whole family loved it.

Simple Veggie Dip

1 c plain yogurt
1 heaping spoonful of mayo (I'd guess I used about 2-3 tbsp)
LOTS of dill (I've made this now with both fresh and dried; both work)
a few shakes of garlic powder OR 1/2 of a small clove, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment