Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cheesy Beany Veggie Enchiladas

I promised I'd come through with a good recipe this week, and here it is. These enchiladas were our dinner Tuesday night and they did not disappoint. My husband is obsessed with Mexican food. Me...not so much. I have this weird sensitivity to peppers, so most of the time when I eat them I end the night curled up in a ball on the couch...not exactly conducive to anything Mexican. Because the pepper-laden salsa is only on the top of these enchiladas (versus inside them, as in the typical), I could just scrape them right off. To be kid-friendly, you can do the same to avoid crying toddlers, too. :)

No photo of these (they looked beautiful, actually!) because hubby is traveling with the computer that lets me post photos. To those of you who know him personally, a gentle reminder that his lovely wife could reallllly use a nice computer of her very own (oooh, I don't know....this one maybe?) would be great. :)

CHEESY BEANY VEGGIE ENCHILADAS
*I didn't measure my filling ingredients; if it seems to dry, just add a little more cottage cheese.

1 grated carrot
1/2-1 c chopped kale
1 can pinto beans
4 oz cream cheese
8 oz cottage cheese
6 whole wheat tortillas (8")
1 c. salsa
1 c. yogurt
1/2-1 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a small bowl, mix carrots, kale, cream cheese, and cottage cheese, mashing slightly with a fork. (I used carrots and kale, but really any veggie could be used.) Spoon about 1/4 c. of mixture down the middle of each tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9 baking dish.
In another dish, mix the yogurt and salsa, and spread over the top of your enchiladas. Bake for 20 minutes at 350°, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake another 10 minutes until cheese melts.

We had this with rice and a salad. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment